Friday, November 7, 2008

Home school

Anyone who knows me knows that I have been very admant/against home schooling my children.  I feel very strongly that public school 'is' my relief, respite, is needed for my children.

I have great admiration and respect for mother/fathers who do home school their children.  I just have not felt that it was 'me'.  It didn't fit my children's personality. 

When Cor was with us I was thinking very strongly about it.  His therapist, teacher and other people in our life told us that "even though it would be great for him...it would NOT be great for YOU or Abi..." it was in deed our only respite that we had from him.

That being said....

I'm strongly considering the thought of home schooling my 6 yr old.  I have not the slightest clue how, what, when, I would do it.  I work hours that are split shift and would need to figure out the logistics of it.  Heck - it probably wouldn't work at all.

What I know is....

Nearly every school day he comes home crying.  This has been going on now since his first day of Kindergarten last year.  We know have a babysitter that picks him up from school.  L does Bry's homework w/hiim.  We come home from work - we have tears.  Some nights not very many tears.  Other days so much so that i can't stand myself think.  Bedtime there are tears.  Every single day.  There are days that I can't even begin to tell you how upsetting it is to me.

I woke up Tuesday morning with this feeling in my heart that it is something I need to investigate.  Would homeschooling my boy help him?  Would it help me? 

What I know is...

When he is home alone all day w/his dad. No other stimulation.  No other things going on in his life.  Just quiet, calm, relaxing....

He does not cry.  He tolerates so much more.  He is a true delight to be around.  He can go to the store w/o melting down.  His speech fluency is normal. 

I have no clue what to do.  I don't even know where to start.  I just know that we need to fix something....and...what or how to do it I have no clue!!!

1 comment:

farm lady said...

This may seem like a very silly question but have you visited with his teacher about it? I am not for or against homeschooling - it is very personal for every situation. I am a teacher in a public school but my sister homeschools. She would tell you there can be days of tears for homeschooling too! Both by the mom and the kid!