Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tears on the First Day of Kindergarten

12 days after A was born C started kindergarten. We were all so excited. I was more than excited.

We walked the 2 blocks to school that day. Since I had a c-section I had not been moving around so well. It was the 12th day that I woke up w/no pain....I firmly believe it was my body saying "This is a day of jubilation". LOLOL

We waited for this day for a long time.

The kindergarten children were all dressed in their summer best. Some with tears running down streaming down their faces. Many of the mommy's and daddy's with tears streaming down their faces. We all waited in the playground area outside as instructed.

At the right time each child lined up in their classroom line as they were supposed to do each day...

And they all marched off to their first day of schools.

Moms and dads all crying.

This mom....was not crying. As I looked around at each and every one of these moms crying I wondered what was wrong with me? Why was I not crying? Surely it was because I had not "birthed" this child. Surely there was something wrong with me. Surely, I was failing at motherhood....

I walked the 2 blocks home from that school. Tears filled my eyes. As I cried all the way home and most of that day....I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me.

I cried because I wasn't crying like the other moms?

I was so thankful to finally have respite from this child that I saw that first day of school at glorious. I have said the same thing for 9 yrs on the first day of school...

"It is one of the best things that the US goverment offers the parents of this planet....SCHOOL"

No comments: